Tuesday, May 1, 2012

{read: A dog book} One Good Dog by Susan Wilson

I read this for a book discussion and would caution animal and dog lovers that it was (at least for me)  a tearjerker. The book is told from the perspective of a self-made man who loses everything and is forced to reevaluate his life and priorities and, in alternate chapters, from the perspective of a pit bull who is forced to fight. The dog's chapters were hard for me to read throughout much of the book, especially in the beginning and in the end. He talks about what it's like to be in dog fights and what his life is like. It's a quick read, but I found it upsetting because it's realistic. So many pit bulls are bred and raised as fighters, and even if they make it to the shelters, they are often the first to be euthanized simply because of their breed, regardless of their nature.

One Good Dog by Susan Wilson (St. Martin's Press, 2010)
My rating: 3 stars

No comments:

Post a Comment