Tuesday, December 6, 2011

{read: book recs} Top reads from 2011

In the spirit of the season, here are some of the best books I've read this year. If you're giving books as gifts, consider an independent bookstore that may have an autographed copy, like Boswell's BooksNext Chapter Bookshop, or Powell's Books. I believe all of these except the memoir were published this year. That's one that's been on my TBR for a long time that I finally got to ... and was glad that I did.

Mystery/thriller from Sweden, Norway, or Denmark
The Keeper of Lost Causes by Jussi Adler-Olsen

Fantasy/sequel
The Magician King by Lev Grossman

Psychological thriller/mystery
Before I Go To Sleep by S.J. Watson
Turn of Mind by Alice LaPlante
The Night Strangers by Chris Bohjalian

Best memoir
Let's Take the Long Way Home by Gail Caldwell

Other great fiction not easily categorized
The Night Circus by Erin Morgenstern
A Good Hard Look by Ann Napolitano
The Call by Yannick Murphy
Rules of Civility by Amor Towles
The Tiger's Wife by Tea Obreht

No comments:

Post a Comment