Tuesday, September 6, 2011

{read: debut psychological thriller} Before I Go to Sleep by S.J. Watson


What would you do if each day when you woke up, you remembered nothing? A man in bed with you, in a room you don't recognize, tells you he is your husband, Ben. Another man, Dr. Nash, calls you on a cell phone and tells you that you've been seeing him to treat your memory problems and you should read the journal that you've hidden in your closet. This journal, where you write down everything that you learn each day, acts as your memory. But things aren't making sense.

The protagonist, Christine, begins to slowly piece together what she thinks are the missing 20 years of her life. But when she begins to wonder if people are conspiring against her, she's not sure whether to trust her instincts or if this paranoia is part of her neurological condition. The ending to this book is chilling. Although I had guessed where it was going slightly before Christine figured it out, there were still some twists and turns I hadn't anticipated. This is the best thriller I've read this year.

Before I Go to Sleep by S.J. Watson (Harper, 2011)
My rating: 4 stars

No comments:

Post a Comment