Monday, March 5, 2012

{crafts} Paper Gems


Here is a fantastic tutorial for paper gems. How fun would it be to make these for display in a pirate's treasure chest! With minimal supplies (paper + glue) you can create beautiful jewels. If you have a little helper, glitter might be a fun addition. 

Paper gems (+ templates)

This has got to be one of my favorite projects to date…which is a good job because I nearly broke my brain putting the templates together!! I’m not so good at maths and figuring out angles (my lovely Mum is a retired maths teacher so I should know better!). By the way this project is quite fiddly so more aimed at grown-ups or older kids.
Paper gems
My paper gems were very influenced by these wonderful crayons (via Deborah’s Pinterest board).
Paper gems
You can use these paper gems as hanging decorations (for your Christmas tree) or you can incorporate them into a mobile or garland. I would love to make about a hundred and string them up in front of my window…however there is a limit to my patience!!
Paper gems
If you spray them lightly on one side they look very pretty and a bit more crystal-like! (Not very eco-friendly but I found it hard to resist). Skip below the jump for pdf templates and instructions.
Paper gems
If you love crystals and gems as much as I do then check out these cool projects:
Edited to add: Check out this great advent calendar idea using my paper gems. Thanks Marta!
Kids craft coming up next week…I absolutely promise this time!
Off topic:
Huge thanks to Kathreen from whipup.net for choosing one of my images for her 2012 calendar. Be sure to check it out!
I’ve been a total slacker on email lately…but intend to catch up over the next week. So if you have emailed, sorry, you will hear from me soon!

How-to

You will need:
♥ Paper
♥ Scissors
♥ Cutting board (optional)
♥ Glue stick
♥ Silver/gold spray (optional)
1. Download the minieco-paper-gems.pdf
2. Print template onto a sheet of coloured A4 paper
3. Cut out the templates. (Cut along solid lines. Score and fold the dashed lines).
4. Stick together using a gluestick. (There is probably a better kind of glue to use…I would love to hear recommendations from any paper-crafters out there!)
5. If you want to spray the gems, lie them on an old piece of newspaper and lightly spray the top-side of the gems. (I think they look better sprayed on one side only).
!!If you want to hang your gems then thread a piece of cotton through before sticking the pieces together!!
Due to it’s fiddly nature, this project is not really suitable for kids.
Any problems then leave a comment!
Paper gems

No comments:

Post a Comment