Everyone loves a new bag. Here is a tutorial from MarthaStewart.com for a simple reversible bag, which could be a fun summer day project.
This simple reversible purse is a wonderful project for beginning and advanced sewers alike.
Heavy paper or cardstock
1/2 yard of patterned fabric
1/2 yard of solid fabric
Coordinating machine-sewing thread
Needle and thread for basting stitch
1. Download, enlarge, and print template on heavy paper or card stock. Trace template twice on each fabric and cut out.
2. Align and pin the two solid pieces together, right sides facing. Do the same with the two patterned pieces.
3. Using 1/4-inch seam allowance, sew along the top of each handle and along the bottom curve of each pinned piece, leaving both sides of both handles open.
4. Turn the solid piece right side out, and insert the solid piece into the inside-out patterned piece. Line up seams, raw edges, and handles.
5. Pin the edges of the "neckline" of the bag and sew with a 1/4-inch seam.
6. Going through the longer handle, turn the entire bag right side out (patterned fabric on the outside). Press all seams.
7. Fold raw edges of "armholes" in 1/4 inch and press. Baste together. Topstitch 1/8 inch around bag handles to finish.