Friday, October 7, 2011

{featuring friday} thinly sliced cucumber

For our first "featuring friday" post we would like to feature a brand new blog. Check out Amanda Watson's blog thinly sliced cucumber. Here is her latest recipe for Healthy Apple Banana Muffins. They look wonderful, and perfect for this time of the year. Enjoy, and be sure to stop by her blog often.

Healthy Apple Banana Muffins

TAW30452

Its October and autumn has officially arrived. Around here that means hillsides dotted with deep gold and brilliant red foliage, eager tourists crowding the roads, restaurants, and hiking trails, pumpkin and harvest festivals in every town, fresh apple cider and cider donuts, farm stands stocked with mounds of squash in every variety, shape and color…I could go on and on. This is New England after all and we do love the autumnal time of year.While I profess to enjoy all the things autumn has to offer, by far my favorite thing about this time of year is cooking and baking.

TAW20311

Don’t get me wrong, I love both these activities at any time of the year, but there is something special about cooking in the fall that I can’t quite put my finger on. Maybe it’s the smell of freshly baked apple pie wafting throughout the house, or the comfort of making butternut squash mac and cheese on a dark and dreary October afternoon. Perhaps its because for me fall signals a general slow down of life; a time when I do far less digging in the garden and far more creating in the kitchen. One thing I am sure of is that my love of autumn cooking is inspired in huge part by the seasonal produce that is abundant this time of year. Fall greens and root vegetables, garlic, squash, pumpkins, and pears, I love them all. But in my opinion it is the apple, with its bright red skin and crisp yet juicy inside that is the king of fall produce.

TAW20339Malus Pumila, better known as the common apple is possibly the most widely grown and consumed fruit in the world. There are thousands of varieties boosting different sizes, colors, and flavors. The humble apple is the inspiration for countless dishes that are savory, sweet, spicy, and everything in between. In addition to its beautiful shape and subtle yet sweet flavor, it is the versatility of the apple that draws me to it the most. The ease with which it is inserts itself into a spicy curry stew, melds perfectly into a balsamic glaze over roast pork, or pairs seamlessly with cinnamon and pie crust is at the same time inspiring and overwhelming. Faced with an overflowing tote of recently picked apple I am almost at a loss as to what to create first. Almost. Luckily I quickly recover my senses and decide to start with a basic muffin.

TAW30426I make muffins at all times of the year using countless combinations of ingredients and because of my love for muffins I have been on the quest to create a healthy muffin that I can consume everyday without guilt. I used to be of the opinion that the best muffins are the huge ones you find in the local bakery. You know the kind I am talking about. Big enough that you could share if you really wanted to, decadently moist inside with a crispy,crumbly topping that spills over the edge. This is my kind of muffin. Unfortunately, eating these muffins is simply not a sustainable practice. I recently read somewhere that many muffins contain more sugar that most cakes, and as much fat as some fast food breakfast items- yikes!

TAW20283There has to be a better way. A way to have your muffin and eat it to. Over the past few weeks I have been working on a healthy version of the muffin. One that is not loaded with butter and sugar, yet still retains that moist texture and sweet muffiny flavor that I crave. I went through many versions of this muffin. I experimented with plain yogurt, apple sauce, small amounts of canola oil, honey as a sugar substitute and other countless failed attempts. Finally I came to the conclusion that the key to moist, yet healthy, muffin is the addition of a banana mixed with milk, a small(er) amount of butter, and a combo of several flours and wheat germ. I will not proclaim that this is a true rival for the legendary bakery muffin, but it comes close. It is a sensible size, lacks a sugary topping and doesn’t have that extra soft texture that can only come from pure white flour. However, this recipe contains almost half the amount of butter than a traditional muffin, at least a 1/4 cup less sugar, and a whole lot less guilt. Muffins lovers rejoice! Now you really can have your muffin and eat it too.

TAW30438


Makes 12 muffins
Ingredients:

1 cup whole-wheat flour
¾ cup white flour
¼ cup wheat germ
1 teaspoons baking powder
1 ½ teaspoons cinnamon
¼ teaspoon nutmeg
½ teaspoon salt
½ cup (1 stick unsalted butter)
1/2 cup packed light brown sugar
2 eggs
2 ripe bananas
1/3 cup 2% milk
2 apples, grated
  1. Preheat oven to 375˚F. Line a 12-cup muffin pan with paper liners.
  2. In medium bowl mix together dry ingredients. White flour through salt. In large bowl beat together butter and brown sugar until light an fluffy. Add egg one at a time, beating well after each.
  3. In a separate bowl mash bananas with a fork and stir in milk. With the mixer on low, alternately ass the flour and banana mixture. Mix only until combined. Fold in grated apple.
  4. Divide batter among muffins cups and bake 25 to 28 minutes or until a toothpick inserted comes out clean. Let cool in pan before transferring to a wire cooling rack.

No comments:

Post a Comment